Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Emerging media. The future is ... now?

I meant to post this yesterday as some light holiday reading, but alas I was working, so I forgot. But if you haven't seen it, AdLab has some fantastic pictures and pitches for next-generation advertising media from the 1920s and 30s.

Considering that in-home television didn't even exist back then and printed circulars were only just starting to be used, it's remarkable the lengths that some people thought they'd need to go just to get a shopper's attention. Fast forward to today when it sometimes seems like every outdoor surface is plastered with some offer or other, and people are busily walking around (and even driving?!) staring at the tiny screen of their mobile devices, and the need to break through the clutter seems more apparent.

Of course, when I look at a lot of digital signs I sometimes wonder whether their owners understand the difference between "break through" and "add to".

Technorati Tags:

No comments: